Here are a few things you should consider beforehand.
1. Referrals. This is a good place to start when seeking any kind of attorney services. There are so many different types and classes of attorneys and law firms that it can be difficult to pare down your list. But when you get referrals from trusted family members, friends, and colleagues you'll have an easier time selecting a reliable service provider. But what if you don't happen to know anyone who has faced this type of lawsuit? In this case you can find directories for different disciplines at a local law library in order to get listings for recommended specialists in your area. Or you could check in with the state bar association.
2. Cost. In a malpractice suit, in particular, this is an area of concern. What you'll probably want to look for is an attorney that will accept your case on a pro bono basis, so that he only gets paid if you win. This not only saves you from having to cover up-front legal costs; it also ensures that you won't get tied up in a lengthy lawsuit that you have no hope of winning. Of course, it may also prompt your lawyer to do everything in his power to win since he doesn't want to work for free. The fee for this service is a percentage of your award (after expenses are paid).
3. Availability. You obviously want a lawyer on your side that will keep you in the loop and make himself available to address your questions and concerns. So if you end up with someone who dodges your calls and doesn't return them in a timely manner, you might want to look for someone else.
4. Comfort level. It is important that you be comfortable with your attorney. You don't have to like him, but you do have to trust him and agree with his tactics. So if he spells out his plan of attack and it seems shady or even illegal, don't hesitate to head for greener pastures.
5. Specialty. If you found yourself involved in a car crash where there was some contention about fault, you would definitely want to hire an auto accident attorney Atlanta to Los Angeles. And if you're filing for divorce you wouldn't hire a business lawyer. So make sure that you seek out a malpractice attorney, and specifically look for one that has experience with cases involving dentistry. This will give you the best chance for success in your lawsuit.